Spring is a beautiful time of year in Texas, but it can also be a time when fire ants start to invade your yards and homes. Fire ants are attracted to Spring, TX because of the warmer weather and the abundance of food. They are small, reddish-brown ants that can be very aggressive and cause painful stings. Fire Ants are called “fire ants” because of their ability to sting repeatedly.
If you live in Spring, TX or are planning to visit this spring, here are a few tips on how to keep fire ants out of your yards and homes:
Why Are Fire Ants Attracted To Your Yard?
Fire ants are attracted to yards because of the warmer weather and the abundance of food. The ants build their nests in warm, sunny areas with loose soil. They like to eat insects, such as grasshoppers, crickets, spiders, and caterpillars. They also like to eat sweets, such as fruits and vegetables.
What Do Fire Ants Look Like?
Fire ants are small, reddish-brown ants that can be very aggressive and cause painful stings. Their nests are usually dome-shaped mounds of soil that are about 2 feet wide.
How Can You Keep Fire Ants Out Of Your Yard?
There are a few things you can do to keep fire ants out of your yard this spring.
1. Keep your yard clean and free of debris. Fire ants like to build their nests in loose soil, so keeping your yard clean will help to discourage them from nesting there.
2. Trim your grass and weeds regularly. Fire ants like to hide in tall grass and weeds, so trimming them regularly will help to keep them away.
3. Use a pesticide to kill the ants. There are several pesticides available that will kill fire ants. Be sure to read the label carefully before using any pesticide and
There are a few things you can do to keep fire ants out of your yards this Spring. One is to avoid leaving food or drinks outside, as this will attract the ants. You can also try spraying your yard with a vinegar and water mixture, or using a commercial pesticide.
What To Do If You Are Stung By a Fire Ant?
If you do get stung by a fire ant, there are a few things you can do to relieve the pain. One is to apply ice to the area, which will help to reduce swelling. You can also take over-the-counter antihistamines to help reduce the itching and swelling. If you are allergic to fire ant stings, be sure to carry an EpiPen with you in case of an emergency.
How To Keep Fire Ants OUTSIDE Of Your Home?
Fire ants can also invade your home, especially during the springtime when they are looking for food and warmer weather. There are a few things you can do to help keep them out of your home:
1. Keep your home clean and free of clutter. Fire ants like to hide in dark, cluttered areas, so keeping your home clean will help to discourage them from entering.
2. Seal any cracks or openings in your home’s foundation or walls. Ants can enter your home through small cracks and openings, so sealing them up will help to keep them out.
3. Use a commercial pesticide to kill the ants. There are several pesticides available that will kill fire ants. Be sure to read the label carefully before using any pesticide and follow all of the safety instructions.
4. Place ant traps around your home. Ant traps can be purchased at most stores, and they will kill any ants that enter your home.
By following these tips, you can help keep fire ants out of your Spring, TX yards this year! If you or a friend have a problem with Fire Ants, give us a call today! We would love to make your yard Fire Ant FREE with our Fire ant prevention program! Give us a call today at 281-683-6737, as always… ask for Chris!
Thanks for reading!